A judge at the Central Criminal Court has rejected a bail application for a pro-Palestine activist allegedly involved in breaking into Britain’s largest military airbase.

Earlier this year, members of the group Palestine Action filmed themselves entering RAF Brize Norton on electric scooters, where they spray-painted two Voyager aircraft with red paint.

However, earlier this month, Counter Terror Policing South East arrested a sixth suspect, Muhammad Umer Khalid, and charged him with conspiracy to commit criminal damage and conspiracy to enter a prohibited place.

The 22-year-old has been in custody since and remains in Wormwood Scrubs Prison, where he is awaiting trial.

Rabah Kherbane, representing Khalid at the Central Criminal Court on Friday, said in his opening remarks that prison services had briefly placed Khalid in solitary confinement and barred him from showering or using a prayer mat to perform his Muslim prayers.

He argued that the lifting of Khalid’s bail application was particularly significant given his mother’s deteriorating health.

“We have circumstances in Mr Khalid’s particular case where for the first time on 3rd August, he learnt that his mother’s cancer had deteriorated from stage 1 to stage 2; so any attitude to bail conditions must now be viewed from that lens where he must tend to his mother who is unwell,” Kherbane told the court.